August 9, 2021
CHEYENNE, WY – In 2020, the National Collaborative for Women’s History Sites (NCWHS) and the William G. Pomeroy Foundation partnered to launch a new historic marker program commemorating the history of women’s suffrage in the United States. Today, Wyoming’s first historic marker has been dedicated at the Cheyenne home of Esther Hobart Morris.
Since 2006, the William G. Pomeroy Foundation has been providing grants to place markers which celebrate communities and honor their historic sites. In 2020, to celebrate the centennial of the passing of the 19th Amendment, the Pomeroy Foundation partnered with the NCWHS to launch its latest program which provides grants for 250 markers which recognize historically significant people, places or things instrumental to women in gaining the right to vote nationally in 1920. A right women in Wyoming have held since 1869. Recognizing Wyoming’s importance in the fight for women’s suffrage, members of the Wyoming Secretary of State’s Office applied to have a marker placed in the Cowboy State.Today, Wyoming’s first marker has been dedicated at the former home of Esther Hobart Morris with the consent of its current owners, John and Maria Kopper. Esther Hobart Morris was the first female Justice of the Peace in the United States. She was appointed in February of 1870 in South Pass City, Wyoming. Esther Morris was a prominent supporter of Wyoming Legislative Council President William Bright’s 1869 suffrage bill that not only allowed women the right to vote, but to also hold office.
Images submitted by Kodi Gerhold, NVWT Wyoming State Coordinator